Sep 3, 2007

Stash Enhancing

I wrote this last night. As I attempted to add photos my browser crashed on me and said it was time for me to go to bed. The natives have been restless today so this was my first chance to finish this up :)

As I've been attempting to catalogue what stash I do have (when the kiddos give me literally a second), I have been chastising myself that I need to do a better job at waiting to buy nicer yarn instead of instant gratification cheapo yarn.



My DH continually nags at me about the bins of yarn I have when I tell him I'd like to get more yarn. He doesn't get that 80% of what I have I got off a freecycler 2 years ago, and 19% I got when I went crazy at a Joann clearance sale - who can resist half off clearance price? There is very little in my stash that is high quality. I keep trying to get rid of this yarn, but I just cant. For the most part it's great for afghans, charity, and kids wear so I'm afraid I'll miss it if I let it go. I'm a work in progress on the pack rat tendency.



The biggest problem I have is that I keep spending money first on patterns and magazines and I need to start waiting to be able to afford the yarn for the projects I really want to knit instead of trying to force Caron Simply Soft to be my "go to" yarn for every project. Not that there is anything wrong with Simply Soft - I rather like it and for the most part it has behaved as well as could be expected.



Today I finally placed my first order with Knitpicks - I KNOW!!! I cant believe it has taken me so long either. I'm oddly phobic about paying for shipping if I don't have to so I was always trying to put together the $45 order and I finally realized today that paying $3 to ship is not the end of my world. So I ordered 3 skeins of Shadow in Sunset, 4 skeins of Essential, 2 skeins Riverbed and 2 skeins of Tuscany Multi. I just got paid for those blankets so I figured why not get started on Christmas socks too?



So what is the Sunset for? Well, I'm in on the Secret. Will you come join us? Sign up closes Oct 4 and first hint is whispered Oct 5 (2007).

Warning: the group is really bad at enabling further purchasing of lace weight. I am barely resisting ordering more Shadow in Campfire and Oregon Coast. I don't think I'll last much longer, both are very pretty and calling to me.



Also, I must admit that the siren that is Joann got me again today with her Labor Day Sale. I came home today with Bernat Handicrafter Cotton for fall dishcloths,
Dishcloths
4 skeins of Patons Classic Merino (2 in rosewood and 2 in regency) for scarves,
Chocolate Covered Berries Scarf
Fall Scarf
and some novelty Caron Simply Soft Boucle for a scarf for Grace - she picked it out and it was clearanced for .97/skein!
Grace's Scarf
this is pretty true to color - she is 3 yrs old after all, pink rules!

And I nearly shopped at Wool & Company today too, but darn it, they were closed for Labor Day!

2 comments:

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

That Patons is so lovely! :)

Knitcrazy said...

,
Hi Jen,
I too just got my First order from Knitpicks but I shared it with a friend who was already ordering 45.00 worth..LOL I just got a "little" :)
Love the yarn you got at JoAnns.. real Pretty.. I am not a yarn snob but I do like to get "some" special stuff once in a while...
I can't let go of my "afghan" yarn either!!
I "gauge" my Cups of Coffee by my MUG size! Only Two of them...
XX Penny
http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/